I am committed to safeguarding the privacy of my website visitors; this policy sets out how I will treat your personal information.
(1) What information do I collect?
I may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal information:
- information about your computer and about your visits to and use of this website (including your IP address, geographical location, browser type and version, operating system, referral source, length of visit, page views, and website navigation);
- information that you provide to me for the purpose of email notifications (including your name and email address; and
- any other information that you choose to send to me.
2.2 About cookies
A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.
Cookies can be used by web servers to identity and track users as they navigate different pages on a website and identify users returning to a website.
Cookies may be either "persistent" cookies or "session" cookies.
A persistent cookie consists of a text file sent by a web server to a web browser, which will be stored by the browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date (unless deleted by the user before the expiry date).
A session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed.
2.3 Our cookies
I use both session cookies and persistent cookies on this website.
2.4 Analytics cookies
2.5 Cookies and personal information
Cookies do not contain any information that personally identifies you, but personal information that I store about you may be linked, by me, to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
2.6 Blocking cookies
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies. For example:
- in Internet Explorer (version 9) you can block cookies using the cookie handling override settings available by clicking "Tools", "Internet Options", "Privacy" and then "Advanced";
- in Firefox (version 16) you can block all cookies by clicking "Tools", "Options", "Privacy", selecting "Use custom settings for history" from the drop-down menu, and un-ticking "Accept cookies from sites"; and
- in Chrome (version 23), you can block all cookies by accessing the "Customise and control" menu, and clicking "Settings", "Show advanced settings" and "Content settings", and then selecting "Block sites from setting any data" under the "Cookies" heading.
Blocking all cookies will, however, have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites.
If you block cookies, you will not be able to use all the features on this website.
2.7 Deleting cookies
You can also delete cookies already stored on your computer. For example:
- in Internet Explorer (version 9), you must manually delete cookie files (you can find instructions for doing so at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835);
- in Firefox (version 16), you can delete cookies by clicking "Tools", "Options", "Privacy" and then "Show Cookies", and then clicking "Remove All Cookies"; and
- in Chrome (version 23), you can delete all cookies by accessing the "Customise and control" menu, and clicking "Settings", "Show advanced settings" and "Clear browsing data", and then selecting "Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data" before clicking "Clear browsing data".
Again, doing this may have a negative impact on the usability of many websites.
(3) Using your personal information
We may use your personal information to:
- administer the website;
- improve your browsing experience by personalising the website;
- enable your use of the services available on the website;
- send you goods purchased via the website, and supply to you services purchased via the website;
- send statements and invoices to you, and collect payments from you;
- send you general (non-marketing) commercial communications;
- send you email notifications which you have specifically requested;
- send you our newsletter and other marketing communications relating to our business which I think may be of interest to you, by post or, where you have specifically agreed to this, by email or similar technology (and you can inform me at any time if you no longer require marketing communications);
- provide third parties with statistical information about our users – but this information will not be used to identify any individual user;
- deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website;
- keep the website secure and prevent fraud; and
- verify compliance with the terms and conditions governing the use of the website.
I will not, without your express consent, provide your personal information to any third parties for the purpose of direct marketing.
In addition, I may disclose your personal information:
- to the extent that I are required to do so by law;
- in connection with any ongoing or prospective legal proceedings;
- in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk);
- to the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset that I are (or are contemplating) selling; and
- to any person who I reasonably believe may apply to a court or other competent authority for disclosure of that personal information where, in my reasonable opinion, such court or authority would be reasonably likely to order disclosure of that personal information.
(5) International data transfers
Information which you provide may be transferred to countries (including [the United States) which do not have data protection laws equivalent to those in force in the European Economic Area.
In addition, personal information that you submit for publication on the website will be published on the internet and may be available, via the internet, around the world. We cannot prevent the use or misuse of such information by others.
You expressly agree to such transfers of personal information.
(6) Security of your personal information
We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
We will store all the personal information you provide on our secure (password- and firewall-protected) servers.
All electronic transactions entered into via the website will be protected by encryption technology.
You acknowledge that the transmission of information over the internet is inherently insecure, and I cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
You are responsible for keeping your password (and other login details) confidential. We will not ask you for your password (except when you log in to the website).
(7) Policy amendments
(8) Your rights
You may instruct me to provide you with any personal information I hold about you. Provision of such information will be subject to:
- the payment of a fee (currently fixed at GBP 10); and
- the supply of appropriate evidence of your identity (for this purpose, I will usually accept a photocopy of your passport certified by a solicitor or bank plus an original copy of a utility bill showing your current address).
We may withhold such personal information to the extent permitted by law.
You may instruct me not to process your personal information for marketing purposes, by sending an email to me. In practice, you will usually either expressly agree in advance to our use of your personal information for marketing purposes, or I will provide you with an opportunity to opt out of the use of your personal information for marketing purposes.
(9) Third party websites
The website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
(10) Updating information
Please let me know if the personal information which I hold about you needs to be corrected or updated.
(12) Data controller
The data controller responsible in respect of the information collected on this website is Meryl Glover.